The Abbott and Smith Organ

     The organ is one of the first things people see upon entering St. Michael’s Cathedral. While the exact date of building is unknown, it is thought that the organ was first constructed in 1870. What is known is that it was built by Abbott and Smith Organ Builders in Leeds, England and then shipped to Canada. While the history of the organ is currently being researched, we do not know where the organ was first housed when it arrived in Canada. Eventually, it was moved to a Wesleyan church in Vancouver where it stayed until it was moved to its current location in 1934 at the bidding of Father Charles Davis, a priest at St. Michael’s who served as the director of the boychoir and as parish musician. Since coming to St. Michael’s, the organ has undergone several changes including, an electro-pneumatic console (keyboards) built by Casavant Organ Builders in 1949, and the repair of cracked wooden pipes due to the low humidity of the Okanagan Valley.

     There are approximately 1,500 pipes in the organ. In the early 1990s, a 16ft. Diapason stop was added to the Great division of the organ. In 2002, a Tierce stop was added to the Swell division. Currently, the Great Trumpet is having reeds repaired by a local organ technician. As of July 2015, the cathedral began the process of complete restoration to the organ and a new console by Rodgers Instruments has been installed. The pipes, due to their deteriorated condition, have been silenced until the restoration is complete. This restoration will return all of the pipes to pristine condition, repair bellows, blowers, and wiring, and will supplement the instrument with additional digital stops. At the present, we are fortunate to have the capabilities of the Rodgers console and speaker system preventing a disruption to worship and the music programs the cathedral. Upon completion of the restoration project, an updated stop list will be posted. Below are the current organ specifications:


Great 

Montre 16′
Principal 8′
Flûte Harmonique 8′
Chimney Flute 8′
Gemshorn 8′
Octave 4′
Spitzflöte 4′
Quinte 2 2/3′
Super Octave 2′
Forniture V
Trompete 8′
Chimes
Zimbelstern

Swell to Great 16, 8, 4
Choir to Great 16, 8, 4
Solo to Great 8


Swell Organ (under expression)

Bourdon Amabile 16′
Diapason 8′
Bourdon 8′
Flute Céleste II 8′
Viole Céleste II 8′
Prestant 4′
Flûte Traversière 4′
Nazard 2 2/3′
Octavin 2′
Tierce 1 3/5′
Chorus Mixture IV
Double Trumpet 16′
Trumpet 8′
Hautboy 8′
Clarion 4′

Swell to Swell 16, 4
Swell Unison Off
Choir to Swell 8, 4
Solo to Swell 8


Choir (antiphonal and under expression)

Erzähler 16′
Montre 8′
Gedackt 8′
Erzähler Céleste II 8′
Principal 4′
Koppelflöte 4′
Cornet III
Klein Octave 2′
Larigot 1 1/3′
Rauschwerke IV
Cromorne 8′
Tuba Imperial 8′

Swell to Choir 16, 8, 4
Choir to Choir 16, 4
Choir Unison Off
Solo to Choir 8


Solo (floating)

Flauto Mirabilis 8′
Orchestral Flute 4′
Corno di Bassetto 16′
French Horn 8′
English Horn 8′
Trompette en Chamade 8′


Pedal

Principal Bass 32′
Contra Bourdon 32′
Contra Bass 16′
Subbass 16′
Bourdon Amabile 16′
Violone 16′
Octave 8′
Violonecello 8′
Gedackt Bass 8′
Choral Bass 4′
Mixture IV
Contre Bombarde 32′
Bombarde 16′
Trompette 8′
Clarion 4′

Great to Pedal 8
Swell to Pedal 8, 4
Choir to Pedal 8
Solo to Pedal 8

 

 

Other Instruments

In addition to the four choirs at the cathedral, St. Michael’s is fortunate to have multiple instruments on the campus. St. Michael’s has a 1929 Wm. Knabe & Co. grand piano in the nave of the cathedral, and three additional pianos on site. St. Michael’s also has a three-octave set of Malmark tone chimes and a two-octave set of children’s sized handbells.