According to the City of Kelowna’s website, “the heritage of the City of Kelowna is a history tied to the land and natural environment and the people who have long understood the richness of this area. Kelowna’s heritage is reflected in the buildings, neighborhoods and landscapes from these earlier eras. These are the homes, work spaces, and community gathering places created by the people who shaped and developed the City”.
Such a place is the Cathedral Church of St. Michael and All Angels. Although the parish itself was given the name in 1894, the first church building was not built until 1895. It was located near the present Okanagan Heritage Museum on Queensway Avenue. With the rapid growth of the city, the expanding congregation decided to build a larger church on the present site at Richter Street and Sutherland Avenue. The cornerstone was laid on July 30, 2011 and dedicated on June 13, 2012 by the Most Rev. Adam de Poncier, Bishop of New Westminster assisted by the Rector, the Rev. Thomas Greene. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style featuring segmental and trefoil headed windows, buttresses, and a gabled roof. It was built of cut stone quarried from the Knox Mountain-Dilworth Mountain area with Okanagan Landing granite trim. The church, along with the parish hall that was built in 1922, became a focal point for many community gatherings. Over the years, commemorative stained glass windows, plaques, choir stalls, the oak pulpit and brass lectern and other furnishings have been donated to keep alive the memory of many local Anglicans and those who served, but did not return, from WW1 and WW2. On Sunday, September 27, 1987, St. Michael and All Angels was dedicated as a Cathedral, signifying its continuing relationship with the broader community of Kelowna.
The property was recognized as having heritage value in the 1983 Kelowna Heritage Resource Inventory. It was later assessed and added to the Kelowna Heritage Registry in 1997. An official write up known as the Statement of Significance was made by the City in 2004 and identified St. Michael and All Angels as a heritage property.